What do you have to do for your startup to succeed? This is what Joe Pulizzi, founder of Content Marketing Institute answers in his new rule book: “Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses.” He shows you how you can position yourself as an informational leader within your group and develop content that’s going to attract the audience you need. To put it simply, he provides a model that basically says the valuable content should be created, then build an audience around that content, and then finally create a product for that audience. In a sense, he’s shifting the old traditional method of first creating a product and then trying to find customers for it.
Here are the six-business steps -in summary- that Pulizzi talks about in his book:
- The “Sweet Spot”: Where you identify the intersection of your uniqueness and passion
- Content Tilting: Determining how you can shift that sweet spot to a place with little to no competition
- Building the Base: Establishing your main number one channel to distribute the content (Blog, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc).
- Harvesting Audience: Using social media and the search engine optimization to be able to convert one-time visitors to long-term and loyal ones
- Diversification: Expanding into more than one delivery channels to grow Your business
- Monetization: Now that you’re ready and set, you can charge money for your products or services.
According to Pulizzi and many other examples that he mentions in the book, this model has worked wonders for them. Once you connect these six pieces, you’ll startup will be flourishing around the country.
This book is available on Amazon for BD 5.7.