By now, you’re probably familiar with the new hot trending university in B-Town – the American University in Bahrain (AUBH). The university will soon be opening its doors to welcome its inaugural students in September 2019, and we simply can’t wait to check it out.
Since we couldn’t contain our excitement, we reached out to the president of AUBH, Dr. Susan E. Saxton, to answer all of our burning questions about the new university, what to expect, and what’s it’s offering. Dr. Susan E. Saxton is an internationally experienced executive with superior businesses acumen and 25+ years of thought leadership, innovative operational focus, and strategic insight in both commercial and academic paradigms.
Dr. Saxton is recognized for building business capability and transforming institutions into operational successes via the use of various analytical frameworks, charismatic leadership, and strong communication and interpersonal skills that win the hearts and minds of those with whom she collaborates.
Check out our interview with the President of AUBH below.
Can you tell us more about the courses that AUBH will be offering?
The University offers flexible programs and internationally-recognized degrees tailored to meet the demands of the international workforce, and with the mobility of transfer credit, enable students to pursue their higher education credentials with institutions from around the world.
AUBH will initially offer the following degree programs:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance. The Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance is a 4-year undergraduate curriculum that prepares students for careers in industry, public accounting, government, and non-profit organizations, as well as for advanced study. The goal of this program is to provide students with a strong foundation in business, with a particular emphasis in finance.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Management. The Bachelor of Business Administration in Management is a 4-year undergraduate curriculum designed to provide students with the necessary knowledge and leadership skills to succeed in managerial functions. The curriculum prepares students for careers in industry, government, and nonprofit organizations, as well as for advanced study.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Hospitality Management. The Bachelor of Business Administration in Hospitality Management is a 4-year undergraduate curriculum that is rigorous and professionally oriented. Students who complete the curriculum are prepared to be leaders and decision-makers in the hospitality industry, an industry which encompasses hotels, resorts, restaurants, and many other services and recreational facilities.
- Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Design. The Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Design is a 4-year undergraduate curriculum that develops the knowledge and skills which provide students with qualifications to establish careers in a wide range of public and private sector industries, both in Bahrain and abroad. The possibilities include acquiring professional positions in media, advertising, business marketing and public relations, information technology, film, television, entertainment and video gaming, and online, interactive training networks, to name just a few. The Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Design gives students the opportunity to specialize in mass communication, production, or advertising.
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering. The Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering is a 4-year undergraduate curriculum that ensures the students’ academic success and preparation for a productive industrial engineering career. The objective of this course is to foster a world-class industrial engineering education in collaboration with industry.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering. The Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering is a 4-year undergraduate curriculum that aims at producing the best-skilled, hands-on, practicing computer engineers. More specifically, the objectives of this academic program are to provide students with the technical knowledge and skills that will enable them to achieve a successful career in the computer engineering profession.
All programs at the bachelors level are intended to: (1) to provide students with a general education that will enable them to appreciate the social, ethical, economic, and environmental dimensions of problems they may face; (2) to develop communication and social skills necessary to work effectively with others; (3) to develop the students’ ability to solve problems by learning what is already known, and extrapolating the knowledge via logic and creativity to come up with optimal solutions to future issues; and (4) to provide students with the intellectual skills necessary to continue learning and to stay current with professions as they change.
Besides Academics, what activities and programs will AUBH be offering to ensure the full student experience?
AUBH plans to offer a host of recreational, entertainment and extra-curricular activities to enhance the non-academic life of students and create a lively space that fosters interaction and collaboration between students, faculty and the community. The AUBH campus includes the Student Commons and a Sports Center. The latter fuses athletics and wellness and is equipped with spacious fitness, cardio and strength training spaces, a basketball court, a football field, and two group exercise rooms. Adjacent to the Sports Center is the Student Commons which is home for various non-academic campus spaces including dining, socializing and student activities.
What kind of measurements will AUBH take to upskill Bahrainis?
AUBH places a strong emphasis on graduate outcomes and employability. It embeds in students the academic knowledge and technical skills to help mold them into a highly competitive and attractive workforce that can meet the evolving demands of the labor market for competent, well-rounded professionals who are easily employable and adaptable to the needs of the local and international market. AUBH provides students with the academic, professional and social skills to help them build a successful career, via access to an internationally-recognized curriculum, multi-cultural environment, personalized mentorship, and active campus life.
Where’s the curriculum coming from? Is it similar to the American universities around the region such as AUS, AUC, AUB, etc?
The curriculum is based on best-practices within the disciplines offered. Our faculty are eminent teachers and researchers in their respective colleges with many years of experience. They have created a curriculum based on guidelines put forth by their U.S. academic organizations. The curriculum is more experiential, interactive, and based on real-world problem-solving than you might find at other universities.
In your experience, what is the key to developing a good university?
The key to developing a great university rests with getting the best people working collaboratively to set high standards, develop an outstanding curriculum, and provide the most engaging teaching. Our faculty are drawn from throughout the world, have undergone a formal U.S. education, and have taught for many years. They have come to Bahrain to launch AUBH because they are committed to the ideals of the University and want to be involved in an initiative that will make a difference in the world.
What information would be most helpful for students and parents who’d like to apply/enroll their offspring to AUBH?
AUBH is the first comprehensive, purpose-built, American-style university in Bahrain, bringing a holistic educational experience unique to the Arab region, with a strong emphasis on graduate outcomes and employability. The university offers flexible programs and internationally-recognized degrees, all tailored to meet the demands of the international workforce.
The American University of Bahrain is open for admissions and is ready to start in September 2019. To apply, simply read through the requirements here.
Are there particular goals you’d like to achieve within AUBH in the next 5 years?
I would like for AUBH to be the first choice for Bahraini students who might otherwise travel to the US, Australia or the UK to complete their education. AUBH offers American-style high-quality education, at an affordable price, which is designed to get students to think critically, work collaboratively, and acquire both the hard- and soft-skills that will land them a high-paying and productive job. This goal should model the finest academic and non-academic aspects of high-quality, holistic education that includes and builds on the development of active, caring, bright young adults across the GCC.
In addition, I would like to embed teamwork, leadership, and an emphasis on sound minds and bodies into the culture of the University. The campus should feel like home to students, both functionally and aesthetically.
What important skills do you look for when hiring AUBH’s staff?
We look for individuals who possess several important skills. They need to be problem-solvers, self-starters and committed to serving students. For faculty, they need to have a proven track record of teaching, be up-to-date in their field, and willing to go the extra distance to ensure that their students are learning and applying their classroom skills. For staff, we are looking for those with a service-orientation so that students, parents, and community influencers can brag about the wonderful experience they had at AUBH.
AUBH recognizes that one of the strongest qualities of an American educational system is its variety of backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints. Faculty members have been specifically recruited on their ability to contribute to a stimulating and challenging academic environment that fosters preparation for success and, most importantly, for their ability to nurture and mentor students in the development of whole-life skills.
Can you please share a method you have found effective in advising students, in terms of academics, extracurricular, and social life.
The most important concept is getting to know the students on a personal level—becoming familiar with their goals and dreams, past academic history, and sometimes even their family situations. Our advisors and counselors are well-informed about program requirements and what will make students competitive in the professional marketplace. The University provides an array of cultural, recreational, and social opportunities ranging from a speaker series to recreational sports teams to student clubs where individuals can explore their non-academic passions. Our counselors and advisors are familiar with these different opportunities and can advise students on how best to pursue them.
Hurry up and apply to AUBH now at https://enroll.aubh.edu.bh/enroll.