After the tremendous success of the Urban Hackathon in Riyadh, the second edition of The EU Delegation to Bahrain hackathon launched in Bahrain on April 24th, 2022 to elevate Bahrain’s landscape by developing ideas that assist in preserving the Kingdom’s heritage and culture while sustainably modernizing it. Bahrain Urban Hackathon is in partnership with the French Embassy, Bahrain Authority of Culture & Antiques, and Brinc, a global venture accelerator.
Bahrain Urban Hackathon application is open until May 12th, 2022, for university students, freelancers, entrepreneurs, and people working in the field of architecture, civil engineering, 2D/3D design, urban planning, environmentalism, and culture to apply.
The hackathon revolves around seven themes of urban planning for applicants to choose from. Participants will then develop their ideas toward the Bahrain 2030 vision of improving the overall planning of the urban sustainability landscape. The themes are as follows:
- Climate change and urban sustainability: solve heatwaves challenge, adapt to rising sea levels, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, public transportation, consumption behavior, and construction.
- Waste management: formulating ideas that reduce industrial or organic waste and promote recycling and reuse methods.
- Mobility: inventing eco-friendly transportation on land, sea, or flight alternatives.
- Energy: reducing consumption, and shifting to renewable energy alternatives.
- Water management: ideate alternative methods to reduce water consumption, and inspire water provision.
- Urban and community participation in public spaces: offering accessible natural open spaces for the public to use.
- Communities and culture as urban dimensions: originating urban ideas that uplift cultural exchange and social cohesion, boost cultural and social activities within marginalized communities, or raise awareness about cultural practices.
The hackathon will kickstart on June 12, 2022, with an Ideation session, research, and reading followed up with ideation refinement to support participants to add an innovative touch to their ideas. Participants will then have the opportunity to meet urban plan experts to address any gaps within their solutions.
The hackathon days will take place on June 26th & 27th which will break down to, day one focusing on developing a business plan, prototype, test, and improving their solutions. On day 2, participants will develop their pitching skills and pitch their ideas to a jury of Business, Technology, and Industry experts to be evaluated and nominated Hackathon winner followed by a closing ceremony on the 29th.
The EU Delegation to Bahrain, the French Embassy, Bahrain Authority of Culture & Antiques, and Brinc’s collaboration through the Bahrain Urban Hackathon aims to motivate Bahrain’s community involvement in accelerating sustainable urban planning in the Kingdom and fostering local talent.
Moreover, through the partnership in launching the Urban Hackathon in Bahrain, overall awareness about the impact of moving towards greener alternatives on the climate and society will increase. This is a great benefit for the kingdom’s population and can act as the starting point for a greater future.
Apply by May 12th 2022 or refer a friend by clicking here.