As part of our series of compiling promising startups around the MENA region, namely in Saudi Arabia, and Egypt, we’ve also decided to add Jordan to the list and bring you some of their promising startups – especially since Jordan’s startup community has been quite active such as its recent adoption of the Amazon Web Services CloudStart Program, and BeyondCapital launching their Scout Program to support early-stage businesses, and not to mention the investments made to some of their startups including but not limited to Little Thinking Minds, Tamatem, Faylasof.
But let’s cut to the chase and list you the 9 Jordanians startups that we look forward to in 2019:
- Mawdoo3 – Founded by Mohammed Jabar and Rami Qawasmi in 2010, Mawdoo3 is an online digital platform that provides premium quality Arabic content. The website has a growing library of over 140 thousand articles on various topics, and has more than 42 million visitors every month. The startup has recently secured funding from Kingsway, and Endure Capital back in July 2018, and has recently released its AI powered speaking digital assistant “Salma” on March 2018.
- ShopGo – An e-commerce platform launched in 2012 by Hichame Assi, and Moe Ghashim. The localised platform enables MENA merchants and small businesses to have their own online store without the need of technical knowledge. It provides guidance and support to merchant from setting up their store and optimizing their store performance.
- Tamatem – The leading mobile games publisher in the MENA Market, that develops localized and culturally-relevant mobile games for Arabic speakers. Tamatem was founded by Hussam Hammo , when he found that there’s a lack of Arabic-based apps in the app stores. According to its LinkedIn profile, the startup has published 45 games on iOS and Android with over 55M downloads.
- POSRocket – This startup modernizes cash registers by offering cloud-based point-of-sale (POS) systems to businesses in the MENA region. Founded by Zeid Husban in 2016, POS acts like a personal assistant that helps business owners manage their stores anywhere and anytime. It helps in optimizing staff, regulates inventory, accepts payments, and access sales reports and customer information – all in one platform. Back in July 2018, the startup has raised $1.5 million in a funding round led by Algebra Ventures.
- Hello World Kids – If you’d like to introduce your kids to coding then look no further, because Hello World Kids teaches native coding to kids between the ages of 8 to 12. “We believe that children have great ability and creativity to be programmers and entrepreneurs,” their website mentions. Hello World Kids is founded by Hanan Khader who believes in the necessity of equipping kids with these skills to prepare them for their entrepreneurial journey in the future.
- Little Thinking Minds – An EdTech startup dedicated towards producing educational resources in Arabic to enhance the skills and learning outcomes of Children and at the same time maintaining and developing their Arabic language. The startup was launched by Rama Kayyali, Lamia Tabbaa and Salwa Katkhuda when they grew frustrated by the lack of engaging Arabic educational content. The EdTech startup has recently bagged an investment in Series A round led by Algebra Ventures.
- 3oun – Moving out? A broken pipe? Need some house maintenance services? Then 3oun is your new pal. It’s a home maintenance mobile application that allows users to connect with house maintenance providers. 3oun has a variety of services including water tanks, plumbers, electricians, satellite technician, towing truck, pick up truck, home appliances, and home cleaning. 3oun is available on iOS and Android.
- MindRockets – A technological solution that helps the Deaf community by converting text and speech to sign language. Launched with the aim of integrating deaf people into society, the startup creates Avatars that help in the translation and can be used through mobile phones and integrated into any service, or screen, or website to make it accessible for deaf people.
- MadfooatCom – Established in 2011 with the partnership of Oasis500, MadooatCom is an online, real-time bill presentment and payment system that allows customers to pay their bills, and acquire information about their payments, anywhere and anytime. According to its LinkedIn, the startup aims to connect banks with biller to help facilitate payments and inquiries through electronic channels.